Library History
 

The Spring Grove Free Public Library, organized in 1937 by a group of interested citizens, was first housed in a small room adjacent to the auditorium building of what was then the Spring Grove Area Intermediate School. The library was later moved to a new location on Constitution Avenue which consisted of 6000 square feet.

During a school expansion in 1958, a larger, more centrally located library was constructed on East Street. The public and school libraries were combined until the PA Department of Education required their separation. The public library was formally incorporated as a non-profit organization in 1965.

In 1967, the library moved to the former Hoke farmhouse located along North Main Street. It consisted of three small rooms and provided 1,200 square feet of space for more than 12,000 books.

Increased usage taxed the library facilities for many years, with books filling every nook and corner - including the old kitchen fireplace. Library activities were very limited or non-existent due to the space limitations.

In 1987, as a direct result of a bequest from the late Miss Julia Sprenkel, the Board of Trustees formed the "MALL (Make a Library Live) Committee" to raise funds for a new library. In 1990 the PH Glatfelter Company pledged to match $200,000 of the contributions received. The company matched a second grant of $50,000 in 1991.

Spring Forge Development, Inc. donated a 1.9 acre lot located along Glenview Road for the building site. The board selected Spring Grove native Walter Geiger of Morris Architects to design the new library.

On May 18, 1992 the new library opened to the public. It has space for 40,000 books. The Spring Grove Free Public Library was officially renamed the Glatfelter Memorial Library on September, 23, 1992.